Thursday, September 2, 2010

In Memory of my Grandfather...


I took this post off of my website that I built years ago and no longer maintain. I thought that since my mom was still sharing that link with family members, that I would go ahead and place this poem and picture of my grandfather on here so it will be easier for everyone to see. I think it's the most appropriate time in doing this too since his birthday was in Sept and had he still been living would be 101 this year. It's still so difficult for me to believe that he's no longer with us. I'll post the poem I wrote and had on my website as well as what I wrote on my website about him........let us never forget where we came from and who it was that helped to mold you into what kind of person you've become today.
BRING BACK THE MEMORIES
Bring back the memories
From long ago
When dad was able
To get out and go
~~
And bring back the stories
he used to share
of neighbors who called
and friends who cared
~~
As time passes by
and his stories fade
no family to share with
the choices they have made
~~
But he knows one day
his children will grow
and share his old stories
with their very own
~~
His hair is now grey
and his back is quite weak
but people still listen
when this big man speaks
~~
Cause he speaks with great strength
and intelligence too
Just do the opposite
and see who says "I told you"
~~
Dad is still a strong fighter
with quite a sane mind
his wisdom and encouragement
help in hard times
~~
Dad is the backbone
of our family of three
and he's done a good job
as we all can see
~~
So bring back the memories
from long ago
in stories of family
and days of old
~~
written by Robin Brown
September 1994
(THIS IS WHAT I ALSO WROTE ON MY OLD WEBSITE ABOUT THE POEM AND MY GRANDFATHER):
"I wrote this poem on the spur of the moment for my mom and her two sisters. We had a big birthday party for my papaw, and all his family was there. We had to rent a lodge hall cause the Hackler family is so huge. I didn't think that I'd be able to write this cause usually the only way that I can write poetry is if it just hits me or if I'm trying to express my feelings in some sort of manner.
However, I sat down and it just all of a sudden hit me and I couldn't write as fast as it was popping in my head. I know that it was the work of God that did that for me because in January or 1999 my Papaw passed away. I am so glad that I wrote this and that he got to hear it at his birthday party. It was read out loud to everyone there and I will never forget the huge grin on my Papaws face while it was being read. My Papaw and Granny were very special to me and when my papaw died, I lost my mentor. He taught me so many things about life and how to handle situations. I'm not sure if he ever even realized what a huge impact that he had on my life. But those lessons of life that he taught me...well they are embedded within me and yes....they are plenty of things that he would still be teaching me and plenty of times since his passing that he would of looked at me and shook his finger and said "I told you so"
I love you Papaw and I will see you and Granny again someday"

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    You were blessed to have such a grandfather and to have the close relationship that you had! Your poem is lovely.

    Wishing you a happy weekend!

    Hugs,

    Barbara Diane

    ReplyDelete