Sunday, July 24, 2011

7 months in Fast Forward.....part 5

 Ok so here is where the tears for me will start to roll all over again. I didn't have a clue that the school year of 2011 would be my son's last year in High School. But I got a call the first of May from the guidance counselor telling me that my son would more than likely graduate early NEXT year. I was elated with the idea and of course my son and husband were as well. Because my son hated school. It wasn't that he wasn't smart enough it was the fact that he had a really hard time sitting behind a desk all day in a closed room. Not sure what it was about that but it really made him extremely antsy and irritable to everyone around him. So I thought this is great and I got all the info that I needed for his senior pics that would be taken the first of next year and was lining everything up....BUT THEN..about 2 weeks later I get another call from the school guidance counselor telling me that there is an even greater possibility that he could very well graduate THIS year. She said it was all up to him and how hard he wanted to work but that they were putting him in advance classes that were all on computer and he would do the work and taken a ton of test and as long as he pasted the test he would get the credit. So that's what he chose to do and he blew thru those test like it was nothing. As for myself I was scrambling trying to get him a cap and gown and begging and pleading with the company that supply them to school. But with the time I had left until the actual graduation I missed out on being able to get graduation announcements, senior pictures and getting to take pictures of my son again for his senior prom, and his senior album. All that was gone and let me say here...maybe I am sounding a tad selfish about all those things but this is my one and only child. When he was growing up those were the things that I looked forward to getting to experience with him. But the best I could do was call people and try to explain what had happened and invite them over the phone and via email.....via email for crying out loud! Oh I was so mad at how it was just thrown at me all at once, but on the other hand I was so thrilled that he was graduating and that he worked so hard there at the end to make sure it was going to be this year. It turned out to be a beautiful experience after all, but my depression and the empty nest syndrome was kicked into overdrive and still is. I'm really struggling with the fact that he will be 18 in Sept and then what? What am I then? Who am I then? I've been a mom to him for as long as I can remember......I've forgotten who Robin as a person is...all I know is Mom Robin. Now don't get me wrong I know I'll still be his mom but I want be the caregiver mom no longer. So I have to try to find a way to overcome all of this or it is going to drive me crazy. People Empty Nest Syndrome is a REAL thing!! For those of you that have experienced it then you know what I'm talking about and for those of you who haven't......believe me when I say it hurts...it hurts deep and you feel completely lost and just want to say.....what now???? But anyway, I hope you enjoy looking at the graduation pictures.
 My mom and dad with the proud graduate!
 myself and my husband with our happy graduate.....
 I really am proud of him.....
 Have you noticed he's taller than both myself and my husband??
 He's the last one in line here with the sunglasses on...all of his friends decided to wear their shades while walking in......doing it Blues Brothers Style...
 Getting his diploma.....
 And that's it folks....it's over...class dismissed...the final bell has rang.....
 In the end.....I can honestly say that I have never seen my son so happy. NEVER! After it was over I looked at him and he looked differently to me. He's no longer my little boy. He's a man now...a man that is in charge of his own life, one who had to take responsibility for his own actions and one that holds his own destiny in his hands. I don't suppose he needs his mom any longer to help him and that's the one part that's absolutely killing me. I love you Austin! and I wish you nothing but the best for your future....I pray that you go on to do great things and become a productive upstanding citizen....just remember to never forget where you came from and how your mom and dad are proud of you and will support you every adventure you set out on...Good luck my precious child! p.s. apron strings are cut.....
Was so thankful that his girlfriend was able to share this moment with us....they are just too cute together......

No comments:

Post a Comment