Thursday, June 11, 2020

Princess baby shower (the backdrop)

Hi everyone and welcome back! WOW! Has it been a long time or what?? I haven't posted on my blog in ages because I've been doing more youtube videos rather than posting here. However, I wanted to share with you the latest baby shower that I've done and I will be posting some links to video tutorials for you as well from things that I made for the shower and how you can as well but for now I thought that I would just show you some of the pictures from the shower. I hope that you enjoy......
So this is the first thing that everyone saw as they walked thru the door of the baby shower. The event was held here locally in what used to be our old bus terminal and is now wonderful venue for occasions such as this but they also do weddings, and corporate events as well here. It was something that our daughter wanted really bad and even with the health issues going on right now globally we all were able to pull it off.
The floral backdrop was my first ever! The frame was constructed from PVC pipes and then I added some sheer scarves that were actually recycled from our wedding. I found them on Amazon for a little over $5 and then I did purchase the LED curtain lights from Amazon as well and they were a little over $15. Then on to the paper flowers. I actually had purchased metal dies to make these. They are from the David Tutera line of paper flower dies. Here is a list of the ones that I used to make this floral backdrop. 1.) Large Peony #562400 10"  2.) Large Dalia #562395 12"  3.) Large Rose #562399 8 1/2" or 6"  4.) Large lily #562397 12". I think these were fabulous but I did find that I liked them being a little fuller so I did add more petals to some of them and I even mixed some of the petals. Like the Large Rose and Large Peony.....I did mix some of those petals up and loved how they turned out. I do have to warn you ahead of time though...your hands will get sore from curling them and if I can give you any advice ahead of time is start these ASAP and do 3-4 a day and then move on to something else so that your hands don't become so fatigued. Your hands will thank you for it.
The paper palm fronds were super easy to make and you don't necessarily have to have any special dies or tools to make them. I do have a tutorial on how I made mine and will link it below for you. Even though I used some fringe scissors, you can easily make these with just regular scissors. I already had the fringe scissors so I used what I had.
https://youtu.be/7lc9J2Fy1K8
I used 3 foam core boards that I picked up at Dollar Tree to place my flowers on. On the backs of all of the flowers and palm fronds I placed velcro because our daughter wanted to reuse the flowers in the nursery to put over our first grandchilds crib. (am I thrilled about being a grandmother or what?? Gigi rather). Here is a link to the video I followed to make the frame as well as the board to hang the flowers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8FdYCxI8So Following this videoo made it super easy to make. If my husband and I learned anything though it would be to add another support bar on the piping at the top. It's plenty sturdy enough when it is shorter and your adding your foam core and flowers but we realized that it was a little shaky once we had it raised from the 4' height. So please keep that in mind when constructing your form. Also, unless you are moving this to the venue in a massive vehicle I would suggest that you make the bottom half and top half removable for easier transporation. My husband moved this one in a full sized SUV and that was all he was able to haul so that the flowers didn't get damaged in transport.
Then on to the OH BABY balloons. I purchased these online from Target.These are not helium filled. You have to blow them up and even though they provide bakers twine for you to hang them....we did NOT use that because I feel it would of looked tacky. So we used fishing line to hang them.
On to the table......the tutu skirt......
So I could of probably done this on my sewing machine but since my craft room was and to be honest still is a hot mess with all the paper crafting I've done for the shower....I simply didn't have time to clean everything up AND make the tutu. So what I did was while I was watching tv with my husband I brought the bolt of tulle to the family room and using more fishing line.....I sat and did a straight long running stitch in allllll of that tulle. Yes.....for that 6' table I used 28 1/2' yards of tulle! 28 5/8 yards to be exact but who's counting.....uhhhh I was. But it actually was relaxing for me even though my little Zoe (Biewer terrier) thought that I was making her the largest tutu EVER it went fairly quick....I kind of lost the exact time it took me but it felt good just to sit and not be rushing around making something. I attached it to the white tablecloth using safety pins. Please keep in mind that it was a little time consuming to get it straight so allow a little extra time for this when you are planning.
Speaking of extra time. We started decorating this venue at 9:30 a.m. and I had 4 people helping me....we worked as fast and as hard as we could go and had people showing up before we were even able to do the final tweeks.....which is why I actually cropped out one of the drapes that they venue had hanging on the brick wall behind the backdrop.....the drape to the right hand side needed fluffing and straightened and now when I look at the pictures, it drives me batty!!
We all worked right up until it would of been inappropriate to keep working and I got caught looking like a hot mess.....sweating up a storm, in overalls, the oldest pair of flip flops I own and only wear when I'm working at home and my hair.....oh my lets just say that the clippy I had it up in along with my sunglasses were just a mess!!! A total mess!! I had showed one our daughters friends the shirt I had on that our sweet girl had given me for Mothers Day that said GiGi on it and had even forgotten to put the side flap back up on the overalls when I was asked to take a picture in front of this backdrop with our precious mom to be. Talk about cringe worthy pictures. Yes, I'm from Tennessee, yes I'm a little country but oh my goodness.........all that I would of needed was a straw hat and a pitch fork and I could of been the poster child for genuine Hillbilly!! lol
So enough of that. I think what I'll do is since there are so many things that I need to share with you, I'm going to break it down in separate posts for you that way I can tell you in better detail how I created everything and hopefully it will be that I've covered everything to keep you from questioning the how.
I hope that you've enjoyed and if there is a question that I didn't cover in this post. Please feel free to ask. And when you go over to my channel where I'm doing the tutorials, I would love to have you as a subscriber over there at Robin's Feathered Nest. I do post there much more now that I do here.
Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope that you enjoy and have fun making your own floral backdrop and tutu skirt for your next baby shower or wedding.
psssssst......the two diaper cakes sitting on the table.....yeah I know that I didn't speak of those....but they will be coming in another post....just keep checking back because I actually made tutorials for both of them.
ok so I will show you the unedited picture of the entire backdrop with the venue curtain on the right hand side all messed up. Every time I see this picture it makes me want to reach in and straighten it up so bad. Even worse.....it stayed that way the entire baby shower...even in the video I did. UGH! Yes these are the things that make CDO people crazy.....yes the diagnosis even has to be in alphabetical order! :) Here's one of my shameful boo boos......
See what I mean....don't you just want to reach in an fluff it up like I did the left hand side?
Ok, I'm off to work on my next post and share for you.....take care everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment