Friday, June 12, 2020

Diaper Princess Carriage cake (with tutorial)

Hi everyone! So I do have a couple more diaper cakes that I've made. This time for a baby girl and not just any baby girl but for our first grand child! We are so excited about her arrival.
In my previous post I explained how I created the backdrop for this table and so now I'll show you how I created this diaper cake. I actually watched a video on youtube from someone named Gifty making one of these but it was in fast forward and you really had to watch it numerous times to try and catch everything and she didn't talk while creating it. So I'm first going to show you some detailed pictures of the carriage while I still had it here at home and then I'll give you the link to where you can watch me making this carriage myself. It is a "craft with me" type of video and I leave in all of the bloopers and blunders so just know that ahead of time and if you're making one for yourself please watch the entire series before making one so you will know where I had to change and adjust some things. But for now, just enjoy looking at the detailed pictures of the carriage. The above picture is from the shower...the ones below are ones I took for you right after I created it. I do hope that you like it and that it inspires you to make one.
 Note the "tires" are diapers.
 The bed of the carriage is diaper as well as the pillow roll.....
 The "headboard" is diapers as well and I also needed to add some rolled diapers below the headboard so that it would stay higher than the pillow roll and fill the void so that the paper lantern would maintain it's shape.....
 I also tucked some diapers at the foot of the bed to fill in the void as well......The little roses are mulberry paper roses that I bought years ago and added as "tie backs".....
 The tires are wrapped with burp cloths and one is wrapped with a receiving blanket. The flowers in the center of the tires are ones that I made myself using crepe paper. I do have a tutorial on how to make these and you can find that tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQRjzztOXKg
 Here is the view of the pretty gold wire swirls...I found these to be the most difficult thing to bend and think that if I had used a little more pliable wire it may have been a little easier. And another thing that I learned and if I were to do it over is to go ahead and cover the "axels" with a burp cloth or receiving blanket BEFORE adding the tires. I think it would of secured the tires better and kept them from slipping and sliding. You'll understand what I'm talking about when you watch the video series.
 Here is the top of the carriage. Because every Princess carriage needs a crown on top...right?....
 This is just another view inside the carriage in case you wanted to see the ceiling of it and see that I did add the pearls and flowers on both sides....
 This is a close up view of the bottom of the carriage showing that I did use a second wire from the medium sized paper lantern to help support the bottom of the carriage.
And a sneak peek at the rolled diapers which are under the "headboard" and "pillow roll".
So if you'd like to watch me make this diaper cake here are the links for those. There are 5 videos in total. Part 2 has a continuation it which is why I've only labeled it as a 4 part series. But here are your links......and I give you a supplies list in the description of the videos.
Part 1 can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQeJIUoOpAQ
Part 2 can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00BscsGWfRU
Part 2 cont' can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLrk7EbUudE&t=16s
Part 3 can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VZ2kYTsIQc
Part 4 and final video can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4On7dvV7Pl8
I said in the description of the video that I didn't record me making the little platform that the carriage sits on but in case you didn't read everything, I'll go ahead and tell you what I did. I used one more receiving blanket and a flattened cardboard box and just simply wrapped it. I did find that if you tape the box flat really good with some shipping tape that it makes it much more sturdy but you would want to transport this is a couple of different sections so that it survives the journey and then sit in on your platform.
I hope that you've enjoyed this post as well as the video. If you like these diaper cakes and baby shower inspiration type posts and tutorials I would appreciate it if you would subscribe to my channel and follow me here. I do have another diaper cake that I made for this shower and it will be coming up in the near future.
Thanks everyone for stopping by Candy Creek and for "flying" over to my youtube channel Robin's Feathered Nest.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Robin I have made many of your diaper creations ( I love them all) by any chance do you have any fire trucks?
    Carolann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carolann, Oh that thrills me that you're enjoying the diaper cakes! I don't have a fire truck as of right now but I do have 2 more grandbabies on the way. I know that one of them is going to be a little girl and not sure what the other one will be yet but a firetruck diaper cake may be in my future. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete